Main tower

The Ayyubids improved its fortification in 1237 as defence against the Crusaders - dated in an inscription above the South entrance gate.

© Photo: Haupt & Binder

Qasr al-Azraq

The black basalt fort built by the Romans and used by Umayyads, Ayyubids, and Ottomans, was the headquarters of T. E. Lawrence and Sharif Hussein Bin Ali during the Arab Revolt.

Recommendations for cultural travellers: Contemporary art, art history, architecture, design, cultural heritage

Jordan Tourism BoardIn cooperation with the
Jordan Tourism Board

Logo Logo Back to Top