The Ca' Foscari University, established in 1868 as a Business School, organizes several cultural activities, including exhibitions, music performances, film screenings, theatre plays, conferences.
It is the initiator and central venue of the Art Night Venezia, organized since 2010 every year in June around the day of the beginning of summer.
The historical seat of the university is Ca’ Foscari, a Venetian Gothic palace overlooking the Canal Grande. Previously a Byzantine palace, known as 'Casa delle Due Torri' (House of the Two Towers), stood on the site. In 1452 the doge Francesco Foscari bought it, and ordered to knock it down for a completely new representative building, designed by the architect Bartolomeo Bon.
After several reconstructions and modifications in previous times, between 2004 and 2006 Ca’ Foscari and Ca’ Giustinian, the adjoining building which became part of the complex in 1942, were subjected to more restoration work, which involved the creation of internal connections between the two buildings. During this restoration, remains from the 9th century were discovered beneath the external courtyard and a frescoed floor from the 15th century and gilded ceilings from the 16th century came to light in one of the second floor rooms. The external and internal spaces of Ca’ Foscari, including some of the most beautiful halls, can be visited in special Ca’ Foscari Tours (available in Italian, English), organised by the Information Centre (URP).