Abattoirs de Casablanca
Angle Rue Jaafar El Barmaki et Rue Oudayas
The old slaughterhouses of Casablanca were built in 1922 by the French architect Georges-Ernest Desmarest in Neo-Moorish style.
The buildings represent 2,2 hectares of covered surface. They were decommissioned in 2002 after the opening of the new slaughterhouses in the outskirts of Casablanca.
The Abattoirs de Casablanca were inscribed on Morocco's National Heritage List in 2003.
The photographs that accompany the text by Florence Renault-Darsi were taken by Gerhard Haupt and Pat Binder in October 2012.
On the plans and hurdles in converting the historic slaughterhouses of Casablanca into a cultural center.