Für eine optimale Ansicht unserer Website drehen Sie Ihr Tablet bitte horizontal.
Arap Cami Mah.
Bankalar Cad. No: 11
SALT Galata is a research centre and exhibition space that opened in 2011. The building, former headquarters of the Ottoman Bank, was designed in 1892 by French Levantine architect Alexandre Vallauri. It is located on Bankalar Street, where various other banks were built in the same period.
Vault Karaköy The House Hotel
Arap Cami Mah.
Bankalar Cad. No: 5
The historical headquarters of Crédit Général Ottoman were built on Bankalar Street in 1863 by Istanbul-born Italian architect Antoine Tedeschi in a neo-Renaissance style. Subsequently the building housed the Deutsche Bank and Sümerbank before turning into a hotel in 2014. Room 211 is a venue.
Kasa Galeri, Minerva Han
Bankalar Cad. No: 2
Minerva Han is a landmark historical building that was constructed as the Bank of Athens in 1913 by architect Vasileios Kouremenos in an Art Nouveau style. It was later acquired by Deutsche Bank in the 1930s and more recently has become a part of Sabancı University. The former bank vault in the building was converted to an exhibition space called ‘Kasa Galeri'.
Galata Greek Primary School
Kemeraltı Cad. No: 49
Built between 1885 and 1909 in a Neo-classical architectural style for the education of Greek children in Istanbul. Due to the decrease of the Greek population, especially from the 1960s onwards, the school closed in 1988 and then again in 2007.
Lüleci Hendek Cad. No: 12
Constructed in the 1920s, the building presents floral plaster casts on its façade and was used as a tobacco warehouse for the Kavala family until the 1950s. In 2005, it was converted into an exhibition space when it hosted the Istanbul Biennial for the first time. In 2009, it became the home of the vibrant cultural centre DEPO.
Meclis-i Mebusan Cad.
Liman İşletmeleri Sahası
Built by the architect Sedad Hakkı Eldem in the scope of an urban revitalisation project between 1957 and 1958, Antrepo No. 4 is a former cargo warehouse on the Bosphorus. It was designed as a part of a larger Galata pier complex by the Turkish Maritime Organisation. In 2003, the 8,000 square-meter warehouse was transformed into a contemporary museum building and opened to the public in 2004. The pier continues to serve as Istanbul's main port. The façade facing the Bosphorus as well as the ground floor are venues.
Özel İtalyan Lisesi / Italian High School
Tomtom Kaptan Sok. No: 3
The Italian High School moved to its present location in this Neo-classical masonry building in 1919. In the garden, there is a small building by Raimondo D'Aronco, which today is home to the kindergarten.
The Museum of Innocence
Dalgıç Çıkmazı No: 2
The Brukner Apartment on Dalgıç Street was originally constructed three years after the earthquake of 1894. Renovated between 2000 and 2003 by architect İhsan Bilgin for Orhan Pamuk, it became the Museum of Innocence in 2012.
Çukurcuma Cad. No: 7
Across the street from the Museum of Innocence, a former petrol station
Fransız Yetimhanesi / French Orphanage
Boğazkesen Caddesi No: 161,
The Palace of St. Eugène was built as an orphanage in 1868, and it became the atelier of an Armenian plaster caster Garabet Cezayirliyan in the mid-twentieth century. The property is contested and it is currently home to a workshop and archive of Art Nouveau moulds.
Boğazkesen Cad. No: 106
The building is part of a larger complex constructed in the early 1940s.
Boğazkesen Cad. No: 108/A
Opened in the early 1940s as part of a Türkpetrol Station complex
The House Hotel
Room 2 is a biennial venue.
Bostanbaşı Cad. No: 19
Originally commissioned by the Zenovitch family, this 1880 building was designed by a Serbian architect and transformed into a hotel in April 2010. The building reflects the floral stone masonry developed in Istanbul after the great fire of 1870, which destroyed many wooden buildings in the area.
across from The House Hotel Galatasaray
Bostanbaşı Sok. No: 30
Hayriye Cad. No: 12
Cezayir (built in 1901) hosts the public programme throughout the biennial, as well as one artist's project.
FLO Building (Anatolian Passage)
Istiklal Cad. Anadolu Han D: 201
Located on İstiklal Avenue, this building, originally named the Anatolian Passage, was built in the early 20th century for Ragıp Paşa and now functions as a shoe store.
Deva Çıkmazı, Beyoğlu
Entrance from Istiklal Cad.
The Società Operaia Italiana building, informally called Casa Garibaldi, was constructed in 1884–1885 by architect Bernardo Bottarlini. Giuseppe Garibaldi, the Italian revolutionary and politician, lived in Constantinople from 1828 to 1831.
Asmalı Mescit Mah.
Meşrutiyet Cad. No: 65
Founded in 2005 by Suna and İnan Kıraç Foundation as an exhibition space and a collection of paintings, weights and ceramics. It is located in the former Bristol Hotel designed in 1893 by architect Achille Manoussos.
Asmalı Mescit Mah.
İstiklal Cad. No: 211
The building, originally Meymaret Han, is situated on Istiklal Avenue. It is thought to have been constructed in the 1910s by Petraki Meymaridis Efendi, one of the architects of Beyoğlu. The building opened as ‘ARTER – space for art', after a renovation by Fahrettin Ayanlar for the Vehbi Koç Foundation.
ADAHAN Hotel & Cistern
Asmalı Mescit Mahallesi
General Yazgan Sok. No: 14
The ADAHAN Hotel opened in 2013, in what was formerly the residence of the Camondo family, who ran one of the earliest and largest banks in the Ottoman Empire, established in 1815. The building was designed by Stampa Brothers and Antoine Tedeschi in 1874. Room 104/B is a venue of the biennial.
ADAHAN Cistern: Located in the former Camondo House, beneath the building that houses the ADAHAN Hotel a cistern dates back centuries.
Tunca Subaşı & Çağrı Saray Studio
İskele Sok. No: 74/A
This small, street-level studio in Kadıköy on the Asian side of the Bosphorus is owned by artists Tunca Subaşı and Çağrı Saray.
Kaptan Paşa Sea Bus
Büyükada İDO İskelesi
Built in 1997, this hydrofoil will be docked at the IDO pier, serves as one of the venues of the biennial.
Büyükada Public Library
23 Nisan Cad. No: 41
Büyükada Public Library on Büyükada was a private home until it was renovated and opened in 2006 as a library for the island.
Hotel Splendid Palas
23 Nisan Cad. No: 53
In 1908, Sakızlı Kazım Paşa commissioned architect Kaludi Laskaris Kalfa to build this hotel on the site of the former Hotel Giacomo. The Hotel opened in 1911. It is inspired by an Art Nouveau style, and displays a synthesis of Eastern and Western design.
Kadıyoran Cad. No: 29
Built in the nineteenth century, this typical wooden house is named after its first owner, Stefan Rizzo. It was a private residence until 1961, when it was acquired by the Balıklı Greek Hospital Foundation and served as a pension until 2010.
Çankaya Cad. No: 31
Commissioned by George Mizzi in the late nineteenth century as a private residence, Mizzi Mansion, also known as the Red Palace, was used as the Hotel San Remo between 1930 and 1940. The red pressed brick façade, and the monumental corner tower were designed by Italian architect Raimondo D'Aronco in 1894.
Twin house, Çankaya Street 57
Çankaya Cad. No: 57
This twin house was built in 1907–1908 by an Armenian tradesman for his two daughters. It is legend that Trotsky sojourned in this house for a couple of weeks during his stay on the island. More recently, the journalist Ahmet Emin Yalman lived there and the house was used as a location for a Turkish soap opera ‘Dudaktan Kalbe'.
Hamlacı Sok. No: 4,
The Yanaros Mansion, gardens and pier were built in the 1850s by Nikola Demades on the Western side of Büyükada. Leon Trotsky lived here between 1932 and 1933 at the end of his four-year exile on the island.
Here are the coordinates of this small island in the Marmara Sea: 40.875516, 28.971035. Many dogs died there in 1910.
Küçük Mustafa Paşa Hammam
Yavuz Sultan Selim Mah.
Müstantik Cad. No: 23-35
One of the oldest buildings of the Islamic period in İstanbul, Küçük Mustafa Paşa Hammam was built in 1477 during the reign of Fatih Sultan Mehmet, 24 years after the conquest of Constantinople by the Ottomans. Located at Müstantik Caddesi No: 23-35, it is a short walk from the South coast of the Golden Horn.
Hrant Dink Foundation and Agos
Papa Roncalli Sok. No. 128
The Pangaltı Anarad Hığutyun Girls' School opened in 1903 and belonged to the Armenian Foundation of Istanbul. In 2004, the school closed due to decline in the numbers of students. It became the headquarters of Hrant Dink Foundation and Agos in 2015, after two year renovation.
Hrant Dink Foundation and Agos - Centre for Parrhesia
Sebat Apt. No: 74/1
Hrant Dink Foundation was located in the same Sebat building on Halaskargazi Avenue along with the Agos, an Armenian weekly newspaper published in İstanbul in both Turkish and Armenian languages since 1996. The founding editor of Agos and, a pivotal figure in the human rights and reconciliation movements in Turkey, Hrant Dink was assassinated in January 2007, outside this building, today a memorial and Centre for Parrhesia.
Bosphorus, Fishing Boat
The Bosphorus is a 31km strait between Europe and Asia that connects the Black Sea with the Sea of Marmara. An old fishing boat from the Golden Horn journeys up and down the Bosphorus and can be seen from various places including İstanbul Modern.
Rumelifeneri is a coastal village near the Northwestern end of the Bosphorus Strait just before it opens up onto the Black Sea. It is said that Jason and the Argonauts passed through this location in their search for the Golden Fleece. Today's lighthouse was built in 1855 during the Crimean War.
Riva Kumsalı / Riva Beach
Riva Beach is located in a military zone on the Asian side of the Bosphorus looking towards the Black Sea. A radar antenna remains here from the Cold War period.
5. September - 1. November 2015
SALTWATER: A Theory of Thought Forms
Leitung: Carolyn Christov-Bakargiev
Mehr als 100 Teilnehmer
mit Kunstwerken, Objekten, Performances
36 Orte: Beyoğlu (20), Prinzeninseln (8),
Kadiköy (1), Altstadt (1), Şişli (2), nördliches Ende des Bosporus (2), Fischerboot auf dem Bosporus
>> siehe auch: empfohlene Touren
Der Eintritt ist an allen Orten frei,
außer im Museum der Unschuld