The ALBA Cultural Fund and the Wifredo Lam Contemporary Art Center of Havana convoke for the first time to the ALBA Prize of Critique and Art Theory, with the purpose of stimulating ideas concerning different aspects of the visual arts in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- The participants will compete with an unpublished research on the processes of current art in Latin America and the Caribbean. The participants must be natives of this geographical zone, even though they do not live in the native country.
- The researches will be evaluated on the basis of their critical or essayistic nature and their relation to the different groups of problems of the visual arts in Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as on the way they handle the new geopolitical configurations and intercultural processes in the region. In like manner, there is an interest in emphasizing on the scenes proposed by globalization as opposed to the construction of new identities.
- Texts previously awarded in national or international contests may not be submitted.
- An international jury will be set up, composed by academics, critics and experts in art, who will evaluate and award the submitted projects.
- The works will be presented in five copies.
- The researches must have a length of 200 to 250 pages (Courier New font, 12 pts, 1.5 spaces between lines; approximately 30 lines of 60 strokes per page, in Microsoft Word format).
- The projects will be accompanied by a biographical outline of the author that will not exceed one page.
- The deadline for the presentation of the works will be May 30, 2010.
- The Great Prize will consist of US$ 10,000 and the publication of the text. The jury may also consider granting mentions that will not exceed three, of which the first one would receive US$3,000 and the other two, US$1,500 each.
- The decision of the jury will be final.
The papers may be sent by ordinary mail to:
Alba Prize of Critique and Art Theory 2010
Wifredo Lam Contemporary Art Center
San Ignacio 22, esq. a Empedrado
Plaza de la Catedral, La Habana Vieja
Ciudad de La Habana
CP 10 100
And to the e-mail address:
+(537) 864 62 84
+(537) 864 62 83
+(537) 864 62 82
+(537) 866 8477
For papers on current art in Latin America and the Caribbean
Great Prize: US$ 10,000
30 May 2010