St George is on the hilltop behind SS Lot and Procopius. The church was excavated in 1935 by Jerome Mihaic, after Khirbet al-Mukhayyat was acquired by the Franciscans of the Custody of the Holy Land in 1932.
It had a richly decorated mosaic floor, with inscriptions stating that it was decorated by the mosaicists Nauma, Kyriakos and Thomas in 536 A.D. Part of it is displayed in the access area to the Moses Memorial at Mount Nebo.
Al-Mukhayyat Mosaics ►
Descriptions and photo details of the mosaics displayed at Mount Nebo.
© Photo, text: Binder & Haupt
Site of the ancient town of Nebo with Byzantine churches, and one of the finest mosaics in Jordan, with daily life depictions, including wine making.