For an optimal view of our website, please rotate your tablet horizontally.
Heri Dono was born in Jakarta (1960), studied at Indonesian Institute of Arts (ISI) Yogyakarta, from which he deliberately dropped out just before graduation as he wanted to show that he could succeed as an artist without the certificate. He studied with the legendary Sukasman, who inspired him with the Javanese wayang. He resides in Yogyakarta, but is most of the time traveling, doing residencies or joining seminars elsewhere.
He is the recipient of the Prince Claus Award for Culture and Development (1998), the Unesco Prize in 2000, and the Anugerah Adhikarya Rupa (Arts Award) from the Indonesian Government (2014).
He has joined in 270 exhibitions including 27 international biennales, among others the 50th Venice Biennale in the Arsenale's Zone of Urgency, Guangzhou Triennial (2011); Gwangju Biennale (2006 and 1995); Sharjah Biennial (2005); Taipei Biennial (2004); Venice Biennale (2003); Asia Pacific Triennial (2002 and 1993); Yokohama Triennial (2001); Havana Biennial (2000); Shanghai Biennale (2000); Sydney Biennale (1996); Sao Paolo Biennial (2004 and 1996).
In Search of Meaning, Museum The Fundatie, Zwolle, Netherlands, 2015; The Roving Eye, Contemporary Art from Southeast Asia, ARTER space of art, Istanbul (2014/2015); Negotiating Home, History and Nation: Two Decades of Contemporary Art in Southeast Asia 1991-2011, Singapore Art Museum (2011); Wind from the East, Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art, Helsinki (2007); Cities on the Move, Louisiana Museum, Humlebaek, traveled to Hayward Gallery, London, Kiasma Museum, Helsinki, Siam Centre, Bangkok (1999); Traditions / Tensions, Asia Society, New York (1996); New Art from Southeast Asia, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Space (1992).
- O.H.D. Art Museum, Magelang, Indonesia
- Deutsche Guggenheim Frankfurt, Germany
- Artoteek Den Haag, The Hague, The Netherlands
- Cemeti Contemporary Art Gallery, Yogyakarta
- Fukuoka Art Museum, Fukuoka, Japan
- Indonesian Institute of Arts, Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Kirishima Open-Air Museum, Kagoshima, Japan
- Museum der Kulturen, Basel, Switzerland
- Australian Print Workshop, Melbourne, Australia
- Nadi Gallery, Jakarta, Indonesia
- CP Foundation, Jakarta, Indonesia
- National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, Australia
- Okinawa Art Museum, Okinawa, Japan
- Galeri Nasional Indonesia, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Queensland Art Gallery, Brisbane, Australia
- Singapore Art Museum, Singapore
- Stedelijk Museum de Lakenthal, Leiden, NLD
- The Intercommunication Center, Tokyo, Japan
- Tropenmuseum, Amsterdam,The Netherlands
Venice Biennale 2015
56th International Art Exhibition
9 May - 22 November 2015
Soedarmadji JH Damais
Restu Imansari Kusumaningrum
Asmudjo Jono Irianto
Board of Advisors
Carla Bianpoen, Elisabetta di Mambro,
Asmudjo Jono Irianto, Watie Moerany
Bumi Purnati Indonesia
Change Performing Arts
Ministry of Tourism, Republic of Indonesia