For an optimal view of our website, please rotate your tablet horizontally.
Scuola Grande della Misericordia
Fondamenta della Misericordia 3519/A
Contemporary Art from Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan
7 June - 4 October 2009
Daily 10 am - 6 pm
Curator: Jemima Montagu
* 1978 Quetta, Pakistan; lives there and in Karachi, Pakistan. His family is from Hazarajat, Afghanistan.
* 1974 London, UK; lives there and in Pakistan.
Monir Shahroudy Farmanfarmaian
* 1924 Qazvin, Iran. Lives in Tehran, Iran.
* 1963 Tehran, lives there.
* 1944 Tehran, Iran; lives there.
* 1972 Faisalabad, Pakistan. Lives in Lahore, Pakistan.
* 1972 Hyderabad, Pakistan. Lives in Lahore, Pakistan.
Nusra Latif Qureshi
* 1973 Lahore, Pakistan. Lives in Melbourne, Australia.
* 1967 Kabul, Afghanistan. Lives in New York, USA, and in Kabul.
* 1984 Kandahar, Afghanistan. Lives in Ontario, Canada, and in Kabul, Afghanistan.
>> Photo documentation
of nearly the complete exhibition in Nafas Art Magazine
He who knows himself and others
Here will also see,
That the East and West, like brothers,
Parted ne'er shall be.
Thoughtfully to float for ever
'Tween two worlds, be man's endeavour!
So between the East and West
To revolve, be my behest!
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe,
West-Östlicher Divan (1819)
The exhibition will present recent works by ten artists from three countries, better known in the West for stereotypes of terrorism and Islamic extremism than for their rich artistic heritage and vibrant contemporary cultures.
East-West Divan meditates upon links between the artistic traditions in Venice and the Persian artistic heritage shared by these countries, revealing the tightly knotted relationship between East and West - both in life and the imagination.
All contents on this website are protected by copyright.
Internat. Architecture Exhibition, 22 May - 21 November 2021. Curator: Hashim Sarkis.
59th International Art Exhibition, 23 April - 27 November 2022. Curator: Cecilia Alemani.