Filopappou Hill, south west of the Acropolis, is named after Gaius Julius Antiochus Epiphanes Philopappos (65 - 116 AD), a prince of the Kingdom of Commagene who lived in the Roman Empire, and in Athens where he became a prominent and respected benefactor. The Filopappou Hill includes the Hill of the Muses, the Hill of the Nymphs, and the Pnyx, and was declared an archaeological park in 1955-56.
Between 1954 and 1957, the area was redeveloped by the architect Dimitris Pikionis in collaboration with his students and local stonemasons. Together they improvised in the existing topography without recourse to paper plans, creating a series of linking pathways to the Acropolis. Plants indigenous to Attica were reintroduced, a pavilion built, and paths laid using stones salvaged from local buildings, both vernacular and neoclassical. (From a text by documenta 14 and other sources)