For an optimal view of our website, please rotate your tablet horizontally.
Created in 1930 under the name of Colonial, Historical and Fine Arts Museum, its first seat was the building of the Board of Education. Already as Provincial Museum of Fine Arts it was moved to the Arias Rengel House in 1981. Since 2008 it has been housed in its definitive headquarters in the Casona Usandivaras. This French style building, from the beginning of the 20th century, was restored, enlarged and adapted to its new function. It has more than 1,000 m2 distributed on two floors, with the second floor for the permanent collection and the first floor for temporary exhibitions. It also has a specialized library, auditorium, gift store and bar.
The Museum of Fine Arts of Salta collects, preserves and exhibits the artistic heritage of the province, which includes: Pre-Columbian Art, Religious Art of the XVIII Century, Art of the XIX Century and works by artists from Salta of the XX Century, such as Ernesto Scotti, Aristene Papi, Ramiro Dávalos, Guillermo Usandivaras, María Martorell, Carlos L. García Bes (Pajita), Luis Preti, Osvaldo Juane, Jorge Hugo Román, Rodolfo Argenti and Elsa Salfity, among others.
The painting "View of the city of Salta from the top of San Bernardo Hill", by the Italian painter Carlo Penutti, is one of the Museum's emblematic works. Acquired by the Provincial Government in the middle of the 19th century, it provides historical information about the urbanization of the city at that time. One can see, for example, the San Francisco church still without a tower, since it would be finished some 30 years later.
Summarized and translated from information of the museum's website.
© Texts and photos are protected by copyright.
Compilation of information, editing, translations, photos: Universes in Universe, unless otherwise indicated