For an optimal view of our website, please rotate your tablet horizontally.
The Usina del Arte (Power Station of Art), inaugurated in various phases between 2011 and 2013, with its two auditoriums of extraordinary acoustics, exhibition spaces, and public programs, has become one of the main hubs and magnets of the Distrito de las Artes (Art District).
The building was constructed by the electricity company Italo-Argentina between 1914 and 1916, based on a project of the Italian architect Juan Chiogna. It occupies an area of 7,500 m2. Its form and structure, as well as materiality, remind of a Florentine Palace, with a magnificent clock tower and stairway, which were added in 1926. The restoration of the industrial building and its conversion into a cultural complex duplicated its space to 15.000 m2.
It has a large concert hall for 1,200 spectators, with a mobile stage and suspended acoustic reflector. The smaller hall for chamber music, with 280 seats, is also equipped with acoustic devices of excelence.
The Grand Hall (Salón Mayor) is a large multipurpose space for events. During the reconditioning, the architects took advantage of the concret supports of the turbines to install an exhibition space on the main floor leaving the top floor free for multiple artistic activities.
In the building anex to the Usina, which formerly hosted the appartments of the power station's directorial employees, re-opened in 2011 the Museum of Film Pablo Ducrós Hicken. Dedicated to the preservation, research, and dissemination of Argentine cinematographic arts, it was created in 1971, based on the private collection of the Argentine researcher Pablo Ducrós Hicken.
(Summary/translation: Universes in Universe)