For an optimal view of our website, please rotate your tablet horizontally.
The exhibition and cultural events center is located in one of the city's oldest buildings. The first house was donated to the Franciscans in 1716, and enlarged to become the Convent of the Recoletos Descalzos (barefoot friars) in 1732.
After the May revolution of 1810 and the independence from Spain, the building was used for different purposes. Manuel Belgrano converted it first into a drawing school, and since 1870, it housed an asylum. During the government of Torcuato de Alvear, the first Mayor of Buenos Aires in the 1880s, the quarter of Recoleta was revalued. The architect Juan Antonio Buschiazzo reconstructed the building in Italian style and added the chapel, which is currently used as auditorium.
The large renovation for the current use as cultural center was done in 1980 by the architects Clorindo Testa, Jacques Bedel and Luis Benedit.
The Centro Cultural Recoleta (CCR) functions like a "Kunsthalle" with rotating exhibitions.
© Summary from several sources: Binder & Haupt