Krypta der Katharinenkirche
Colloquially known as the Cathedral of the East, the church was built between 1692 and 1720, according to the design of Lorenzo Gafà, one of Malta’s foremost architects. Żejtun Parish Church is considered by many as his masterpiece. It is an imposing edifice, with an attractive dome, Doric and Ionic pilasters, and massive cornices all round.
The Crypts of the Parish Church have been dug in the rocks with a roof supported by fifteen large stone arches. The grave in front of the altar was reserved for the Testaferrata family, the heirs of the benefactor Girgor Bonici. The first burial took place in 1709 and the crypt remained in use until 1975.
Adjacent to the Church, the Żejtun Parish Church Museum displays a selection of objects and artworks related to the parish and history of Żejtun.