Für eine optimale Ansicht unserer Website drehen Sie Ihr Tablet bitte horizontal.
Stipendium der ifa-Galerie Stuttgart und Akademie Schloss Solitude für Kuratoren: Konzeption und Realisierung einer Ausstellung mit Publikation. Deadline: 10. Juli 2015Jun 2015
The ifa Gallery Stuttgart and the Akademie Schloss Solitude announce the call for applications for a cooperation project of ifa Gallery Stuttgart and Akademie Schloss Solitude, which includes a residency in Akademie Schloss Solitude, conception and realisation of an exhibition in ifa Galleries Stuttgart and Berlin, and a publication dealing with the question of art and crafts.
European art history sees art and crafts as two different matters, in the canon, in training and teaching, and in research. Works of art and crafts are usually collected, bought and sold, and exhibited in independent and separate museums.
Attempts have been made to break with this division of two worlds, by the Arts and Crafts movement in England in the nineteenth century, and by the bauhaus. But in other parts of the world and cultures this European definition and distinction has been more or less imposed, at least in institutional terms in the academies and museums.
The dualism and antagonism of art and crafts has become obsolete today, at the beginning of the twenty-first century. The practice of categorizing works as either art or crafts is no longer undertaken from a Eurocentric perspective. In different cultures this kind of definition and allocation either was never or is today not done, or completely different criteria are used in processes of categorization.
A cooperation project between the Institute for Foreign Cultural Relations (ifa) and Akademie Schloss Solitude will focus on specific cases with the aim of investigating and presenting the following:
- how is the relationship between art and crafts seen from non-European perspectives?
- have other cultures seen and do they still see a distinction between art and crafts?
- how and by whom is the art market, which is traditionally dominated by European art history and a Western norm, altered, transformed, or avoided?
There are two options for developing this project:
- The questions can be considered and presented by looking at the example of one cultural area or country.
- The questions can be considered transculturally by looking at examples of objects made of the same material (e.g. ceramics), or objects using the same production methods, or objects serving the same use (e.g. drinking cups or carpets) in different cultures, and perhaps even across different historical contexts. If this approach is taken up, then co-curators from different cultures will be invited to participate.
The project should be undertaken as a form of dialogue, with co-curators working to present the diversity and difference of definitions, norms, and structures in different cultural areas.
The project includes research, planning, an exhibition, and a publication:
- Akademie Schloss Solitude offers a five-month bursary in (December 2015 until February 2016 and September/October 2016), which could be shared by three curators / co-curators if appropriate.
- ifa Gallery Stuttgart offers to plan and realize the exhibition and the accompanying publication within the scope of the available project budget. The exhibition will take place in October 2016 at ifa Gallery Stuttgart, and in spring 2017 at ifa Gallery Berlin.
Your application should contain your C.V. and your motivation letter, short information about relevant examples of your previous work and your proposal for this “Art / Crafts”-project, which should not be longer than 3 pages.
Deadline: 10 July 2015
More information and applications:
Fototouren und Informationen: aktuelle Kunst, kulturelles Erbe, archäologische Stätten
60. Internat. Kunstausstellung, 20. April - 24. November 2024. Kurator: Adriano Pedrosa.
Fünfmonatiges Stipendium der ifa-Galerie Stuttgart und der Akademie Schloss Solitude für Kuratoren: Konzeption und Realisierung einer Ausstellung zu "Kunst und Handwerk" mit begleitender Publikation.
Deadline: 10. Juli 2015