Located at Campo San Samuele, in the immediate vicinity of the Palazzo Grassi center for contemporary art. The big building with several entrances, houses exhibition spaces and vacation apartments to be rented from an estate agency. During the International Art Exhibitions of the Venice Biennale, Palazzo Malipiero always hosts several national pavilions and collateral exhibitions. The adjacent garden directly at the Grand Canal was built at the end of the 18th century and is a rarity in Venice.
The origins of the Cà Grande di San Samuele - how it was formerly called - date probably back to 10th and 11th century, when the Soranzo family commissioned a building in Byzantine style. In the 13th century a floor was added.
In early 15th century the Cappello family, one of the most energetic and industrious families of Venice, became owners of the Palace as a result of marriages with the Soranzos. They used the storage room to house the newly introduced printing and publishing activity. In the mid-16th century, the Cappellos extended the building and modified the Grand Canal facade to its present shape.
Around 1610, through marriage and purchases, the Malipiero family became owners of the building. After several extensive restoration phases and refurbishments commisioned by the Malipieros, around 1745, the palace reached the homogeneous aspect that can be seen today.
In the first half of the 19th century, with the Venetian Republic in full decline and after four centuries of successions, the Palace of the Soranzos, Cappellos and Malipieros suffered the same destiny as many other palaces of Venetian patrician families: passing from hand to hand as a result of many transfers. These transfers accelerated the decline of the building until the Barnabò family purchased it. In 1951 the Barnabòs undertook a substantial restoration, returning the palace premises to a grand and serene eighteenth-century style.
(From the official website and other sources.)
San Marco 3199-3201 Campo San Samuele Venezia Italien