© Photo: Haupt & Binder

Crusader fort

Al-Habis was occupied by a Medieval fort measuring 156,5 m by 74 m, originaliy built by the Crusaders in AD 1115. Although only the ruins remain today, in its original state the fort was an impressive construction located in a strategic position along the trade route from Egypt. It was visited by Sultan Baybars in AD 1276. The fort was built over Nabataean structures and different areas on this small mountain also contain several important Nabataean cultic sites and shrines. (From a text on the site)

© Photo: Haupt & Binder

Recommendations for cultural travellers: Contemporary art, art history, architecture, design, cultural heritage

Web guide, including informative photo tours with interactive maps and special presentations of venues, sites, events

Jordan Tourism BoardIn cooperation with the
Jordan Tourism Board

Logo Logo Back to Top