Limestone, mid of 8th century
Height 5 m, length 33 m
The decorated western part of the façade of the Umayyad palace Qasr al-Mshatta was sent to Germany in 1903 as a gift from the Ottoman Sultan Abdul Hamid II to Emperor Wilhelm II in gratitude for the construction of the Hejaz Railway. It was brought to the then Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum (now the Bode Museum) in Berlin. It was reconstructed as a 33 metres long, 5 metres high facade, with two towers, and parts of a central gateway, exhibited since 1932 in the Pergamon Museum. Today, it is one of the most important exhibits of the Museum of Islamic Art Berlin, due to the elaborate ornamentation of its carved reliefs, with zigzag-like moldings, magnificent rosettes and octagons, animals and human figures depicted under a web of vines.