Overall distance: 1,8 km. The area of Palermo Chico, also known as Barrio Parque, is one of the most exclusive neighborhoods of Buenos Aires. It was laid out in 1912 by the French-Argentine landscape architect Carlos Thays (1849 - 1934). As Director of Parks & Walkways since the 1890s, he significantly shaped the urban aspect of the city. In the case of the Barrio Parque, he didn't follow the common grid structure, laying out instead meandering streets, diagonals, and oval plazas, planted with local tree species. The first magnificent residences were built in French Neoclassical style, later followed others in modern architecture. Today, a number of these villas are seats of embassies. Two grand avenues traverse the area South/North: the Avenida del Libertador and the Avenida Figueroa Alcorta.