The Ethnographic Museum is an institution dedicated to the research, promotion and conservation of the historic and anthropological heritage, from the perspective of social processes and the respect of a cultural diversity.
It holds large collections of archaeology, ethnography, and biological anthropology, mainly from the Argentine territory and from other areas of the American continent, but has also valued objects and exhibits originated in diverse parts of the world.
Remarkable are its archaeological collections from the Northeast of Argentina and Patagonia, pre-Columbian Andean textiles and ceramics, ethnographic collections from the Chaco region, as well as carvings from Africa and Oceania.
The museum also houses a library specialized in themes of anthropology, and a photographic and documentary archive.
The Museum was founded in 1904 as part of the Faculty of Philosophy and Literature of the University of Buenos Aires. Initiator and first director was Juan B. Ambrosetti, considered as one of the pioneers of archaeological science in Argentina, as well as the initiator of the studies of the country's folklore on a scientific basis. From his archaeological investigations stands out his discovery of the Pucará de Tilcara in 1908, the fortress overlooking the Quebrada de Humahuaca.
The house it occupies since 1927 in the Monserrat neighborhood, is a building of Italian style, designed by the architect Pedro Benoit for the Faculty of Law in the second half of the 19th century.
(Summarized from texts on the official website and other sources.
© Translation from Spanish: Universes in Universe)